Welcome, Savannah. I’m here in your inbox this morning to tell you everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. I’m going right now.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout your big announcement at the top of the Savannah Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate at your side! Submit your ad here.
Now, today’s weather:
A bit of sunshine with a thunderstorm. High: 88 Low: 75.
🏡 Looking for more real estate leads in Savannah? Let us help you reach potential buyers and set you apart from the competition. Click here to find out more.
Here are the top three stories from today in Savannah:
- Traffic congestion at the Port of Savannah continues to grow. The bottleneck now has more than 40 ships. The congestion is due to ships being rerouted to port after west coast ports experienced similar traffic jams. The port’s cargo volume is breaking records and is significantly higher than forecast. (WTOC)
- The City of Savannah is asking the community to contribute to proposed redistricting maps for its Alderman Districts. The Metropolitan Planning Commission is responsible for redrawing the six districts. New maps must be created every ten years to reflect US census data. The city’s population is said to have increased by 8% between 2010 and 2020. A public hearing will be held on the maps on September 8. (WSAV-TV)
- The Savannah Police Department is looking for a suspect who broke into the Southside Assembly of God Church. The incident occurred on July 26 on Tibet Avenue. The suspect was captured on surveillance footage. An unknown amount of money was stolen during the robbery. Anyone with information is asked to contact the service. (fox28media.com)
Today in Savannah:
- Summer dog days At the Keller Flea Market (8:00 a.m.)
- Financial Literacy Workshop At the Garden City Library (2:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Saturday on the right foot. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Danielle Fallon-O’Leary
About me: Danielle Fallon-O’Leary is a senior writer at content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and assists Patch.com with the management of the community newsletter. Danielle also has a Masters in Communication Science and Disorders and works part-time as a pediatric speech therapist.