Maharashtra tops list of suicide deaths among Indian states


New Delhi: Maharashtra reported the highest number of suicides among all states in India in 2021. It was followed by Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh respectively. In 2021, a total of 1,64,033 suicide death cases have been reported across various parts of India.

According to a latest report from the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), there are many reasons why people have committed suicide. Among them were work or career-related problems, feelings of isolation, abuse, violence, family problems, mental disorders, alcohol addiction, financial loss and chronic pain.

Suicide deaths in India recorded an increase of 7.2% in 2021 compared to 2020. In that year, a total of 1,53,052 people died by suicide.

“Majority of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207), followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka. These five states accounted for 13.5%, 11.5%, 9.1%, 8.2%, and 8% of total suicides, respectively,” the report said.

These five states together accounted for 50.4% of reported suicides in India. The remaining 49.6% of cases were reported in the other 23 states and eight union territories.

Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state (with a 16.9% share of the country’s population) reported a relatively lower percentage of suicide deaths, accounting for only 3.6% of reported suicides.

Delhi, the most populous union territory, reported the highest number of suicides (2,840) among UTs, followed by Pondicherry with 504.

A total of 25,891 suicides were reported across India’s 53 megacities in 2021.

The suicide rate – the number of suicides per million population – has been widely accepted as a standard criterion of comparison. India’s suicide rate was 12 in 2021. Andaman and Nicobar Islands reported the highest suicide rate (39.7), followed by Sikkim (39.2), Pondicherry (31.8 ), Telangana (26.9) and Kerala (26.9).

Previous The suicide rate reaches its highest level in 2021; crimes and accidents are approaching 2019 levels | Latest India News
Next Future Nasal Polyps Treatment Market Scenario, Growth Rate, Segmentation and Industry Opportunities till 2030 – Instant Interview