‘Ready for talks’: Maoists respond to Baghel’s offer of dialogue, then list conditions | Latest India News


RAPUR: Maoists in Chhattisgarh responded to Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel’s offer to hold talks to end the violence in , saying they were also ready for dialogue, but the government should release their imprisoned leaders first. and withdraw security forces deployed in the Bastar region for anti-Maoist operations.

The Maoist statement purportedly issued on Friday by Vikalp, spokesman for the Maoist Dandakaranya Special Zone Committee (DKSZC), also called Bhupesh Baghel’s call for peace in Chhattisgarh nothing more than an “attempt to ‘mislead the public and slander the Maoists.’ He added that there was what he described as a ‘big conspiracy’ behind Baghel’s peace overtures.

Baghel offered to hold talks with Maoist leaders during a visit to Kondagaon district of Bastar division on April 8, saying the state government is ready to hold talks if Maoists express their faith in the Constitution.

On Saturday, Baghel responded to the Maoist declaration, stressing that his government is ready to discuss with the Maoists on any platform if they express their faith in the Constitution.

The Maoist statement, which circulated on social media, also alleged that on the one hand, the state government was talking about peace and dialogue, and on the other hand, the security forces were carrying out airstrikes in the areas. Bijapur and Sukma jungles.

This is not the first time the Maoists have accused the government of carrying out airstrikes; the allegation was consistently denied. Last month, the Maoists claimed security forces had carried out airstrikes using drones to target their hideouts in southern Bastar. The police call it Maoist propaganda.

“We are still ready for the talks provided that, in order to create an ‘environment conducive to the talks, restrictions on the Maoists are removed,’ the Maoist statement said, a reference to the Center’s 2009 decision to designate the CPI (Maoist) as a terrorist organization under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The Maoists also demanded the withdrawal of forces from conflict-torn areas and the release of their imprisoned leaders for peace talks.

Inspector General of Police, Bastar Range, Sunderaj P, said security personnel deployed in Bastar were committed to keeping the native population safe

“We came across a press release issued by the spokesperson for the Maoists… The police and security personnel deployed in Bastar are always committed to the safety of the lives and property of the indigenous population. Despite countless martyrdoms and inexplicable difficulties, we defend democratic values ​​in this part of the country. The decision on peace talks with the Maoists should be taken by the state government. Establishing peace and order in Bastar would be in the best interests of all stakeholders,” the IG said.


  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    State Correspondent for Chhattisgarh. Reports on Maoism, politics, mining and important state developments. Covered all kinds of extremism in central India. Reported from Madhya Pradesh for eight years.
    …See the details

Previous Can a nation prosper with zero population growth? - Opinion
Next Canada's housing bubble will not be protected by population growth, says BMO