Which world maps are the best?
Whether you love to travel, are a geography buff, or just love beautiful aesthetics, there’s a map of the world for you. There is a huge range of world map types, from political and historical maps to climate maps. World maps can be anything from small poster-sized maps or large portrait maps to maps you can doodle on. There are also special types such as scratch off world maps. For more information, see BestReviews’ World Map Buying Guide.
For those looking for the best of the most classic type of world map, look no further than the Rand McNally 32″ x 50″ Classic United States and World Map Set. This world map also includes a map of the United States, and the design and quality are of the highest caliber.
What to know before buying a world map
Types of world maps
- Political maps: This type of world map focuses on displaying borders, towns and cities of the world. It does not include topography. These maps may become obsolete as boundaries and names change.
- Economic cards: This type of world map uses color to inform about the population and resources of countries as well as other types of economic information.
- Physical cards: Otherwise known as a topographic map, this type of world map depicts natural features of the world, such as water bodies, elevation, and landscapes, using shading, relief, and contour lines. contour.
- Climate maps: Similar to economic maps, this type of world map uses color to convey climatic information, such as whether the area is arid, tropical, tundra or otherwise.
- Historical maps: This world map category is further broken down into subtypes. Some of these types include vintage design current maps and accurate maps based on information known to a certain time.
- Artistic cards: This is a less informative but more decorative world map. These can look like anything, depending on the artist, but the trade-off for aesthetics is that they’re usually a little inaccurate.
- Cards for children: A more visual type of map than most, children’s maps are meant to stimulate children’s attention and help them learn geography.
- Interactive maps: These types of world maps are very varied. They can be scratch off, dry erase for classrooms or any other method of interactivity.
What to Look for in a Quality World Map
For most world maps of any type, there is common background information about them. These usually include the date the map was created, a compass for orientation, place names, and a legend to decipher specific symbols.
Depending on where you want to place the world map or what you plan to use it for, choose a map of the appropriate size. World maps come in almost any size, ranging from 1.5 feet long to massive wall maps that take up an entire wall.
Laminated or framed world maps
There are a few methods to improve durability, from laminating the material to placing your world map in a sealed frame.
How much you can expect to spend on a world map
A world map costs from $25 to over $200. Most world maps are between $50 and $100.
World Map FAQ
What does scale mean on a world map?
A. On a world map, scale relates to the difference between distances on the map and in the real world. For example, if your world map is 1:1,000,000,000, then 1 inch on the map is almost 16,000 miles.
Why does Greenland look so big on one world map and so small on another?
A. World map designers are forced to warp their representation of the Earth to create a two-dimensional version of the 3D sphere of the Earth. This is called a geographic projection method. Everyone makes different concessions when translating dimensionally, which is why Greenland can look so different on different maps.
Which world map should I take?
Superior world map
Rand McNally 32″ x 50″ Classic USA and World Map Set
What do you want to know: This set of two maps from Rand McNally is of the highest quality and the additional United States map makes it a complementary pair.
What you will love: Bright and vivid colors make this world map visually appealing. The names are clear and widely labeled.
What you should consider: The material of this world map is rather thin and prone to tears and creases.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Top world map for the money
Swiftmaps 36″ x 24″ World Classic Elite Map
What do you want to know: This affordable world map doesn’t sacrifice durability or practicality, making it a great value buy.
What you will love: The laminated paper lets you use dry erase markers to jot down notes or decorate this poster-sized world map.
What you should consider: This world map may be missing some minor details, although that rarely happens.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Worth checking out
Landmass Goods 17″ x 21″ Scratch Map of the World
What do you want to know: This map is scratch off, allowing you to change the uniform blackness to bright colors whenever you want.
What you will love: The world map isn’t the only scratch off part; the flag of each country is also scratched under the map.
What you should consider: This world map is a bit small and because it is a scratch map it is not laminated for longevity.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Jordan C. Woika written for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.