Ukraine shares list of 226 Russian soldiers accused of war crimes in Mariupol, Zaporizhia


Ukraine’s Defense Ministry’s Main Intelligence Directorate on Saturday shared a list including the names of 226 Russian soldiers who committed war crimes in Zaporizhia and Mariupol. The list includes the names of the 291st Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment. The Intelligence Directorate claims that these 226 Russian soldiers brutally killed and tortured Ukrainian civilians in the Zaporizhia and Mariupol regions. He said that for the atrocities these Russian soldiers have committed against the Ukrainian civilian population, they will be prosecuted and held accountable. Names range from Commander, Colonel, Lieutenant, Major, and Captain.

In the Telegram message, the Intelligence Directorate said that the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine has a list of command personnel of the 291st Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment, which is involved in crimes against Ukrainian citizens in Zaporizhia and Mariupol. He further stated that Ukrainians should know these names. Sharing a link where the names of the perpetrators were published, the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense said: “Remember! All war criminals against the civilian population of Ukraine will be prosecuted.”

Situation in Mariupol and Zaporizhia

Russian forces continue to attack Ukraine, Mariupol, which is the main port city in eastern Ukraine, is one of the most affected cities. The death toll in the city continues to rise. Last week Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal accused the invading forces of committing “war crimes” in the city. He said Russian forces had been killing small toddlers and babies since the battle began two months ago, according to CBS News. He further said that more than 100,000 people would be stranded in the city, with limited access to food, water or heating. Before the war, the city had about 430,000 inhabitants.

Meanwhile, in the Zaporizhia region of the Melitopol district, Russian forces are demanding that traders stop selling Ukrainian items and switch to Russian items in two villages. The office of the commander of the Russian occupiers demanded that local businessmen reopen their shops, cafes and other catering and entertainment facilities in the settlements of the Melitopol district of Botieve and Strohanivka, abandoning Ukrainian goods for their safe operation safety, according to Ukrinform.

Image: AP

Follow all the news and headlines from the Russian-Ukrainian war on Live updates from the Russia-Ukraine war

Previous Cuthand: Indigenous population growth must lead to increased education
Next New Zealand gained 27,000 homes last year as population growth hit its lowest level in 31 years